Friday, January 8, 2010

All My Single Ladies...



Maybe he did like it... he just didn't see the need to "put a ring on it" because there are 1.8 million
more of us where it came from...



This is an old topic, but a not so old post. For some reason or another due to my holiday festivities I forgot to post it when I originally wrote it...But moving on, I heard about this news package from Nightline and after I stopped cringing and rolling my eyes, I thought about this as an interesting topic for single Fabulous Brown Girls that has been around since I was little Now that I am kind of at that burgeoning stage, the more it is dwelt on, the more disheartening it becomes.

Fact (according to Nightline): There are 1.8 million more black women than men.. So after you take out all the "wack" dudes (and I mean that in the nicest way... ), the amount of eligible black men is cut in half! Great way to keep us optimistic...

Black women seem to have it all--Looks, Education, Money, etc. etc. We have nice updated houses, nice luxury cars, take trips to exotic places, and love the LORD! We can control our professional and financial aspirations to a certain degree, but the one thing we can not conjure to a perfect equation is finding love with a black man.

Do you notice that when we see BLACK LOVE we celebrate it like our favorite sports team just won a championship.. Why do we as women do that? Is it because we don't see it enough in our everyday lives and lives of our families, is it that rare, or is it because it is barely thought of as successful.

Just the other day there was controversy over the newest Essence cover that is graced with New Orleans Saint and Heisman Trophy Award winning, Reggie Bush. The controversy is mainly because it is Essence's black relationship issue and the last time we checked Bush has yet to publicly date a black woman (but can keep an Armenian on DECK!), so why is Bush being celebrated on the cover story of a magazine targeted for Black women, when he doesn't want US!?

Personally, I just think it is for the purpose of eye candy to push the magazine (we all know how the industry is going) off of the shelves more so than an accurate and genuine black relationship expert.

Unfortunately, I don't think this so-called epidemic of Successful Single Black Women (or SSBW) is going anywhere. I am not fond of mainstream media pointing out this epidemic so we can continue to be reminded of it when we turn on the news. That's why we watch TV so we wont have to be reminded of our own problems!!

I don't think I have a long list when it comes to having standards, but I do have standards and I will not compromise on what I deem worthy for myself. PERIOD.

I don't think Black women date outside of their race out of spite because they are angry with black men for doing it to them. I think they date outside of their race because they have opened their minds to seeing whats out there. If black women happen to find love with a man outside of her race its because the man is truly doing what she feels is worthy of what she deserves.

ESSENCE (one of my favorite magazines) has an online article on THE BLACK MALE SHORTAGE or TBMS.. Check it out!


Fabulous Brown Girls, What do you think of the SSBW and TBMS????.... Leave a comment

2 comments:

  1. Although I do agree that there are challenges related to being a successful, single, black woman I disagree that that issue rests on the shoulders of the number of available men. I personally have always had issues with these types of statistics. It always starts with some large number of black women and some small number of men then usually includes the number of gay men, the number who date outside their race, and the number deemed "undesirable". But what is “wack” or “undesirable” for one may be appealing to another. I also think that too much emphasis is placed on dating within ones race. I don't think that a woman (or man) opening themselves up to find love (no matter what shape or color they come in) is a sign of some underlying racial issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The media keeps talking about this "problem" but gives no true solution. I find it interesting that the solutions or advice that are given continue to put the responsibility on we women. It is clear that we need to broaden our horizons in the race or class of man we date. There is someone for everyone, he may not look like the prince charming we always pictured.

    Your In Style ~ Bobbi O.

    ReplyDelete