Tuesday, December 15, 2009

FBG Spotlight: Vanessa and Angela Simmons





How could you not love them? They could be compared to the Hilton sisters, but they are Fabulous and Brown so that makes them better ;)

As we all know, Angela and Vanessa Simmons are a part of the lineage of Hip Hop royalty seeing as their father was 1/3 of RUN DMC. They were first introduced to us through the popular MTV reality show Run's House that stole our attention and made reality TV a family must see.

Now these ladies are hard core entrepreneurs and socialites on both the East and West Coasts. They took their privileged background and made it work for them where they can now empower young girls through fashion and being positive role models.


I notice that the more these ladies become moguls the more I respect them for what they do and how they carry themselves. They are truly FABULOUS BROWN GIRLS because they still have fun, get their hair done, shop, but understand the importance of being strongbusinesswomen who acknowledge that they are role models and have younger girls who look up to them. They used their lineage to leverage their careers in the industry and own their own company all while being BFFs and sisters.


Here is a snippet of the interview:

Honey: Describe your style.

A: I don’t really have a set style because I don’t know how I’m going to feel in the morning.

V: You would be a very diverse dresser.

A: But that’s boring. I don’t want to say “diverse dresser.”

V: I made up my whole category. I’m versatile.

A: I don’t like to just go with what’s trendy right now. I’ll go back and pull stuff and say, “This was popular in 1995, I’m putting it on.” I’m all over the place.

Honey: Sneakers or stilettos?

V: Flats. Nice flat boots.

A: At this very moment, I would put on stilettos. That’s why Pastry is making heels.

V: But heels that can also be comfortable.

A: And I love sneakers. I’ve always been a sneaker head. But that’s what drives us to be able to do a line. We’re into that world. We’re into all of it. People often say, “I don’t understand why you don’t have your stuff on all the time.” Because I’m such a fashion-person that I could never limit myself to one lane. What I like to do is go shop and get inspiration to build up new stuff.

Check out their entire interview at Honey Magazine where they discuss their distinct personalities, being moguls, their style, and their relationships.

[Photos taken from Honeymag.com]

1 comment:

  1. You know what makes these girls different from the Hilton sisters? Class! Plain and simple, they carry themselves with class and respect and they have built their own brand, apart from riding on their fathers back. I have MUCH respect for these Fab Brown Girls!

    ReplyDelete