Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tips for Making Better Career Moves for the New Year!




In 2009 I knew many Fabulous Brown Girls who were just going through the motions with their careers.. You were not really happy with where you were at work or how you were being treated. So in 2010 you said you wanted a CHANGE!! Well 2010 is here and nothing has happened. Its okay FBGs if you know you want to change, but don't necessarily know where to start. Just make sure you READ on for tips on how to go about it the right way..
  • Self-Evaluation: Have you started a personal evaluation or self reflection of yourself career wise? Did you meet your professional goals over the last year or at least started making significant headway on them?
  • Share Your Goals: Have you told your boss the goals you have? It is important to let your boss know where you see yourself professionally. Their job is not only to meet the company's goals, but also to help develop your career goals as well. A good boss will be impressed by your willingness to share your goals as well as be excited to help you progress. If you have let the new year come and haven't sat down to talk to your boss do that ASAP!
  • Update Your Resume: If you achieved your goals for the year, make sure your boss knows this and your resume has your most current accomplishments on them with the results that back them up. And keep your eyes open for new opportunities within your company if you intend on staying.
  • Professional Development: Use this year to expand on new skills that can be developed. Attend professional organization meetings, go to seminars, or listen to webinars for a few hours a month, purchase a few books on your industry to learn new and exciting techniques.
Corporate America is a hard game to play. We want to see all of our Fabulous Brown Girls succeed in this world, so if you have any more tips or stories you can share or pass along.. please by all means do not be afraid of leaving us a comment!

3 comments:

  1. I love the tips. Me and a couple of my girlfriends were just discussing changes that we talked about making, but have yet to implement. But we're 13 days in, so it's time to get crackin'! Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Tangie! I am going to practice what I have preached for sure!!! Most of what I share are things that I need to do myself to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completly agree that you should always share your goals with your manager. It is their job to help you progress. I can truly say that every manager I've had (and that includes my first boss when I was 14) have been instrumental in helping me to grow and push me in the direction that I wanted to take my career.

    ReplyDelete