Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FABULOUS BROWN GIRL TIPS: OFFICE POLITICS


As college students and recent grads it is important to transition out of everyday life as a student and into one of office life. Any time you are in a professional setting many times you have to "turn it on" you have to talk a little different and come across as the happiest employee ever to keep good terms with your supervisor, boss, and CEO. I wish someone would have given me more of the real deal while I was in college so I would be aware of office politics. I have learned them through trial and error, which most of us do any how. Here are just a few tips I found from an great article to help us office "newbies" transition into Corporate America..

  1. Pay attention to your surroundings -- try to fit in with the company culture as best as you can. Look at how your CEO and others that are in positions you would want to be in dress and try to mirror them as best you can.
  2. Be tactful and humble -- even though you were the bomb on your campus, all that may be irrelevant when you enter corporate America. Instead of telling people who you are. how you do things, and how fabulous you are.. try to choose your words carefully that will not put you on people's bad side. Show them that you are sorry when you make mistakes and how willing you are to learn how to correct them immediately. Trust me! your FBG-ness will shine through!
  3. Be attentive to the office's form of communication -- I know some offices communicate heavily through email. But please remember email is not text messaging! Unfortunately, you can not write emails as if you were texting your Fabulous Brown Girls. I am sure your boss would agree with me on this one.
Do yourself a favor! CLICK HERE to read more of the tips from the article..

No comments:

Post a Comment